Welcome!

I am Petteri from Finland and I have something special to share with you: my grandpa. The youth seem to consider the old people rather boring. That might be true in general - but not in this case. My grandpa seems to be having a lot more fun in his 70s than me in my 20s!!

We got him a laptop last Christmas, and by now he's learned to use email - and surf xxx, of course (I've been spying on his surf history...naughty me).

Since I always found my grandpa quite entertaining, I encouraged him to start blogging. To my surprise, he was somewhat
enthusiastic. I guess he just wants to pump up his manliness in the eyes of his alleged net girlfriends.

So, grandpa sends me email about his daily activities, I translate it to English to the best of my ability, and deliver it for your consumption. Enjoy!!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hello everyone and welcome to the blog!!

Let me first tell you a bit more about the old guy. He is my dad's dad, and my only living grandfather. Since his childhood he has been quite action-packed. Before he took off by a cargo ship at the age of fifteen, he was an avid ski jumper. As a remainder of those days, he has problems with his knees. Although surprisingly healthy for his age and drinking habits, he has a heart condition, which keeps him off the craziest stuff like drunken reindeer riding. I think my Grandma is secretly pleased about that.

Grandpa has always had a great love for pranks. There's so many he's done on me that I really can't count. A couple of weeks ago he did a quite funny one. We were at our summer cottage with a few of my friends, and Grandpa decides to show up. He'd told Granny that they have to bring us some beer for the sauna. Grandma wanted to pick some blueberries and accepted the proposition. Of course she didn't know by then that we got only one beer each, and Grandpa had a case plus a bottle of whiskey provided for himself. Well, I think she should've guessed.

Anyways, we sat by the fire, and Grandpa drank his beer telling stories about Rio and Amsterdam in the 50s. That was fun alright, but I eagerly waited to get my hands on his bottle of whiskey. After all the beer, he couldn't be able to consume the hot sauce anymore. So I waited...

It was about half past ten, when he retired to the cottage. I still waited for a good half an hour, until I sneaked into his bedroom and found the whiskey bottle lying there almost full. I grabbed it and creeped out to the porch. My plan was the classic: drink some and put some tea in the place. I told the guys to gather around for the good stuff. Triumphantly, I raised the bottle to my lips and took a mouthful - of TEA!!! What the F??!?!!

While still totally confused and spitting the tea to the ground, Grandpa shows up in the doorway laughing his lungs off!! The bastard! He'd let me taste my own medicine. 'I know you, son, I know you!' he cried and went back to sleep.

Yeah, that's my Grandpa at his purest. And I love the man, like (almost) everybody else does.

-Petteri